Non-coding RNA in health and disease


CONFIRMED: "Non-coding RNA in health and disease" meeting will be in-person!

Initially scheduled to be held in March 2020, this meeting was cancelled at the last minute due to COVID-19. Already postponed once, the BSCDB and NARILIS are now pleased to confirm that this same meeting will finally take place in-person on March 18, 2022! Updated COVID-19 safety measures will be communicated to registered attendees before the conference.

Protein-coding genes account for less than 2% of the entire genome. The other 98% were considered for years as “junk” DNA as they correspond to non-coding genomic sequences. However, it is now becoming clear that the major part of the genome is transcribed into RNA molecules and that these non-coding RNAs have important regulatory roles in gene expression.

Small non-coding RNAs, long non-coding RNAs and circular RNAs

The present meeting will focus on this non-coding part of the genome, which still remains largely unexplored. It will shed light on recent advances in the discovery of new non-coding RNAs and their functional characterization. The topics covered during the meeting will relate both to small non-coding RNAs (i.e. miRNA), as well as to the more recently described long non-coding RNAs (lncRNA) and circular RNAs (circRNA). In addition to their involvement in fundamental biological processes, their contribution in various diseases will also be addressed. Their use as diagnostic markers and their potential as future therapeutic targets will be discussed.

Keynote speakers


Dr. Julieta APREA
Center for Regenerative Therapies,
Technische Universität Dresden

Prof. Pierre CLOSE
Laboratory of Cancer Signaling, GIGA,
University of Liège


RNA Molecular Biology,
Université Libre de Bruxelles

Prof. Eleonora LEUCCI
Laboratory for RNA Cancer Biology,
KU Leuven

Prof. Pieter MESTDAGH
Ghent University

Dr. Antonin MORILLON
ncRNA, Epigenetic & Genome Fluidity,
Institut Curie, Paris

Dr. Sébastien PFEFFER
Architecture and Reactivity of RNA,
Université de Strasbourg


Conference flyer